Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hack WordPress

Hack WordPress

How To: Adding Private Pages to Your Blog’s Navigation

Posted: 13 Jan 2009 12:00 AM PST

If you aren’t subscribed to WPEngineer.com, you really should be!   This blog is quickly becoming one of my favorite blogs about WordPress (outside of this one of course!).  In a recent post, Michael has provided a quick and easy to implement WordPress Hack that will allow you to add pages to your WordPress navigation that are private (so only designated people such as administrators can see them).

When I first read this post I immediately felt that this would make for a great way to add your Adminstrator login to your WordPress navigation, so only people that need it could actually see it.

Click here to get the code you need to accomplish this hack.

Related posts:

  1. WordPress Hack: Creating a Two-Tiered Navigation Menu
  2. How To: Adding an External RSS Feed to Your WordPress Blog
  3. Top 5 WordPress Navigation Menu Tutorials
  4. CSS Techniques: Using Sliding Doors with Wordpress Navigation

My Thoughts on Digg and Their Community

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 05:54 PM PST

Despite the fact that I’ve been blogging for over three years now, the past two days have been a unique experience for me.   For the first time in my blogging career, one of my posts made the front page of Digg.    Truthfully, this isn’t the big accomplishment that it used to be as many bloggers make it there in their first few months of blogging, but this post isn’t about that.  Instead I wanted to post about my experience being on the front page of Digg.

Funny thing is, the post that was Dugg was our best 3-Column WordPress Themes gallery, which was actually published on October 2, 2007.   In that post, we featured our favorite 3-column WordPress themes in a gallery format for people to look through and find a suitable theme for their WordPress blog.   This of course was before any of the premium WordPress themes or content management themes we have today.  After I noticed the post was on Digg’s front page, I decided to revisit this post and noticed how “2007″ it was.   WordPress has grown a lot since then and the quality of themes has really grown with it, making many of these themes really look outdated.

Anyway, I digress.  It was Sunday afternoon before I realized WP Hacks had crashed due to being on the front page of Digg and it took a few hours before I tracked down the reason why and got the site back up and running.   Once that was figured out I decided to dig through the Digg comments (pun intended) and was surprised with what I found:

1) Surely not the “best” themes out there.
Even though some look good, the others are really… well, insignificant.

2) Is it just me or are all of these comments ridiculous? This has become very common on posts like this where they are a ‘best of’ list. My guess is someone is paying people to digg their article and make it FP.

3) Wow, someone just randomly grabs a heap of themes with no discernible consistency of quality at all, jams a bunch of screen shots together into a blog post, then by virtue of having dug every submission of of anyone in his list of ‘friends’ in the last six months, gets this propelled to front page. Then he logs in his army of fake accounts and makes a bunch of comments about his own post.

4) These aren’t that great, and all of these comments look like spam . . .

Seriously?!?   I wasn’t even aware this post had been Dugg for almost 24 hours and suddenly I have an army of accounts and I have friends digging for me?   Is it not possible for people to legitimately make the front page of Digg these days?   I guess I don’t use Digg enough these days to know the “rules for getting to the front page.” With that said, probably the funniest part is this post being close to a year and a half old, yet people act like it was a fresh post showing current themes.

Anyway, for years now I’ve never really focused on Digg traffic and I think the comments above show why.  It is simply a rush of traffic which is usually not targeted to your niche topic, so there is little chance of converting them into readers.   Why exactly would someone want their post on the front page of Digg?  The only potential benefits I can think of are incoming links I suppose.   Otherwise it is more of a hassle than anything.

So, what are your thoughts on Digg?  Do you still use it?

Oh, and to our new readers, if you’re looking for a new WordPress theme, here are a few updated theme galleries we’ve made:

Related posts:

  1. Digg For WordPress Themes? Check Out WP Themez
  2. WordPress Theme Galleries

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

MP3 Clips

Popular Posts