Promoted by Rete No War and U.S. Citizens for Peace & Justice - Rome
Take just a few easy steps to send e-mails to non-belligerent members on the UN Security Council, calling on them to take a stand against the military intervention and to support and promote a negotiated resolution/peace.
Let's protest against continued U.S./NATO bombing of Libya , which has been steady now for over three months. There have now been over 10,000 air sorties carried out by NATO in this campaign. In one day mid-June the NATO forces carried out 157 bombing attacks, more than three times the previous national average, on Tripoli in one day. The death toll in Libya from U.S. , French and British air strikes continues to mount and promises to rise sharply as these powers escalate their attacks on both military and civilian targets.
It is clear that the U.S./NATO goal in Libya has nothing to do with protecting civilians and is, in fact, the greatest danger to Libyan civilians today. Libya has the largest oil reserves in Africa. The objective of U.S./NATO interference is strategic: it consists in achieving regime change and gaining control of the nation's oil wealth under the disguise of a humanitarian intervention. Furthermore, the U.S./NATO war on Libya is increasingly understood as part of the effort of the West to contain and rollback the Arab Spring.
SAY NO TO THE U.S./NATO WAR IN LIBYA !
FUNDING FOR JOBS AND EDUCATION, NOT FOR WAR!
SEND YOUR E-MAILS NOW !
Please pass this on to your friends, family and contacts around the world! For Italian, French and Spanish versions of the appeal (with email in English) please go to:www.interculture.it/libia
Please paste the following addresses into the recipient box of your “Stop the War in Libya” e-mail:
ChinaMissionUN@Gmail.com, email@example.com, India@un.int, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, LamamraR@africa-union.org, email@example.com, JoinerDJ@africa-union.org, firstname.lastname@example.org, Nigeria@un.int, email@example.com
In the e-mail's subject box:
PLEASE PUT A STOP TO NATO WAR IN LIBYA - APPEAL TO NON-BELLIGERANT UNSC MEMBERS
“PLEASE PUT A STOP TO THE NATO WAR ON LIBYA!”
WE APPEAL TO NON-BELLIGERENT MEMBERS
OF THE U.N. SECURITY COUNCIL
- to put an end to the misuse of U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973 to influence the internal affairs of Libya through warfare, by revoking it, and
- to press for a peaceful resolution of the conflict in Libya, backing the African Union's central role in this context.
We thank those countries that have tried, and are still trying, to work towards peace.
Our appeal is based on the following:
- the military intervention in Libya undertaken by some NATO members has now gone far beyond the provisions of Security Council Resolution 1973, and is based on hyped-up accounts of defenseless citizens being massacred by their government, while the truth is that, in Libya, there is an on-going and intense internal armed conflict;
- we are aware of the economic and geo-strategic interests that lie behind the war in Libya and, in particular, behind NATO support of one of the two armed factions;
- NATO military intervention in Libya has killed (and is continuing to kill) countless civilians, as well as harming and endangering the civilian population, including migrants and refugees, in various other ways;
- the belief, at this stage, that only non-belligerent countries – and particularly those with U.N. Security Council voting rights – can successfully bring a peaceful end to the conflict through negotiations and by implementing the opening paragraph of UNSC Resolution 1973, which calls for an immediate ceasefire.
Name (or association)